Object on Penis

1. Default Object on Penis
    Exam Training Packages
    My doctor saw a patient at the ER with a ball bearing around his penis and the doctor had to cut both of the metal circular parts off with a drummel tool. I can find foreign objects in the penis but not one for cutting an object from around it. This took over an hour to do this. Any suggestions???

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    My doctor saw a patient at the ER with a ball bearing around his penis and the doctor had to cut both of the metal circular parts off with a drummel tool. I can find foreign objects in the penis but not one for cutting an object from around it. This took over an hour to do this. Any suggestions???
    I don't want to know how it got there...

I'd suggest billing a prolonged service code with your ER visit, or adding a 22 modifier. I doubt there's a procedure code to cover that.

If the patient was registered as an ED patient and you are using the ED E/M codes, the 99281-99285 services do not have estimated times associated with them to utliize prolonged services codes. Modifier 22 cannot be appended to E/M services.

Unless an incision was made, the removal is captured in the E/M. This would be similar to a ring on a finger entrapment, albeit the penis is a much more vascular organ and the embarrassment factor was probably tenfold.
    Last edited by Mojo; 08-31-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    If the patient was registered as an ED patient and you are using the ED E/M codes, the 99281-99285 services do not have estimated times associated with them to utliize prolonged services codes. Modifier 22 cannot be appended to E/M services.

Unless an incision was made, the removal is captured in the E/M. This would be similar to a ring on a finger entrapment, albeit the penis is a much more vascular organ and the embarrassment factor was probably tenfold.
    Do you think it would be considered a significant threat to physiologic function? Might be able to pull off a higher level E/M if the rest of the documentation meets the requirements. It really seems like they should be able to capture the complexity of the work somehow.

I can only imagine how embarassing that must have been - for everyone involved. I wonder how long the guy dealt with it before he finally decided to go to the ER...

Quote Originally Posted by btadlock1 View Post
    Do you think it would be considered a significant threat to physiologic function? Might be able to pull off a higher level E/M if the rest of the documentation meets the requirements. It really seems like they should be able to capture the complexity of the work somehow.

I can only imagine how embarassing that must have been - for everyone involved. I wonder how long the guy dealt with it before he finally decided to go to the ER...
    I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at the Table of Risk. If you asked a man, he'd say, "H E L L , YES! Assign critical care!" If using the ED codes and further w/u like Doppler studies or uroflowmetry are ordered, a high E/M could be assigned if the documentation is there. I read that penile incarceration has been reported since 1755. Some of the case reports note 5-17 hours of incarceration. Dremel tool and penis should not be used in the same sentence.
    Last edited by Mojo; 09-06-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at the Table of Risk. If you asked a man, he'd say, "H E L L , YES! Assign critical care!" If using the ED codes and further w/u like Doppler studies or uroflowmetry are ordered, a high E/M could be assigned if the documentation is there. I read that penile incarceration has been reported since 1755. Some of the case reports note 5-17 hours of incarceration. Dremmel tool and penis should not be used in the same sentence.
    LMAO! Funniest crap I've read all day...

Default Object on penis
    As a guy I find this thread a load of c-ck

8. Default
    Jackie, I just had a similar incident. My surgeon did have to do an incision and slight debridement. I used an unlisted male CPT and compared to 10121.