AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Orthopaedic aftercare ICD-9

Default Orthopaedic aftercare ICD-9

AAPC: Back to School
    I am confused about the aftercare codes (V54 etc) It says aftercare for healing traumatic fracture, but I am told that these codes are used after the fracture heals and it is more appropriate to use the actual fracture codes during the fracture f.u. visits. This supposedly came from a national expert. I am new to this specialty and two major companies that I have coded for have two different approaches. Help!!

Duluth, Minnesota

hmmm...guess I'll have to look into that a bit more! However, in the past - and for now - our facility uses the V54.xx fracture care follow up codes on fracture care follow up visits. If they are "new" fractures, (within their global period still) we also use the fracture code itself as the second dx. but again, looks like I have some research to do!
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

Greeley, Colorado

My understanding is that if the fracture is "healing" you should use the "aftercare for healing traumatic fracture codes".

Greeley, Colorado

In fact, if you look at the ICD-9 guidelines, it explains what codes to use when. Page 13 of the guidelines.

One would expect that if the fracture is still in the "healing" phase, it would be acceptable to use the aftercare, healing traumatic fracture--as the words imply.

Similar Threads

1. Need Orthopaedic facility help please!
    By tammy roach in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2015, 09:50 AM
  2. Icd-10 Aftercare codes
    By Lion21@ in forum ICD-10
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2015, 08:54 AM
  3. fx care aftercare codes icd 9
    By Shrina in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 04:47 PM
  4. ICD-9 coding for aftercare