AAPC - Back to school

Thread: July coding edge

Kachina Coders

Question July coding edge

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm trying to complete the July coding edge. I'm having major troubles with one of the questions. I've literally chosen EVERY answer and it is still telling me I'm incorrect. I first tried on 09/07 and my original answer was C. That was incorrect so after reading the rationale I chose A. No go. So I thought maybe B. Also no. So I waited my 12 hours tried again today and chose D... nope then B and A again... none worked now I'm locked out again for 12 hours. Can anyone help?

If a patient is admitted to inpatient status from a community clinic independent of the hospital and seen by the attending hospitalist that evening, which category of CPT® code would be used to bill for the hospitalist services?

A. initial inpatient care
    B. subsequent inpatient care
    C. nothing would be billed
    D. same day admit/discharge

Principles of CPT® Coding tells us the initial hospital care codes (99221-99223) should be billed on the day of the actual face-to-face visit. CPT® instructs that if a patient is admitted from a different site of service on the same calendar day (for example, the emergency department (ED) or observation status), all services are considered part of the admission.
    Last edited by LADY_SETSUNA_CJ; 09-09-2011 at 01:10 PM.

I selected A. initial inpatient care without incident. Try again. If you are unsuccessful, email AAPC. I find the staff to be very helpful with these matters.

Kachina Coders

Thanks I'll try that and if it doesn't work I'll email AAPC for help.

Default Just completed July test, and thanks

Thanks for giving me the incentive to re-visit this edition.
    As for the answer; it was A.
    I don't know why your original answer if it was 'A' would have come back wrong.
    Thanks again.
    Wanda Frazee, CPC