AAPC - Back to school

Thread: CPC-A's - Hang in there!

Manhattan New York Chapter

Default CPC-A's - Hang in there!

AAPC: Back to School
    I just wanted to encourage all CPC-A's out there who are finding it difficult to obtain a coding job. I was certified as a CPC-A in July of this year & just accepted a coding position with a neurosurgical group today. There were times when I felt like there weren't any places hiring me since I was an apprentice, even though I have many years of medical administration experience. Hang in there guys! The right position comes along if it's meant for you. Here's to great opportunities for all apprentices still searching!

Default Same position

I just graduated with my Associates in Medical Billing and Coding and I know when I pass my certification that the CPC-A is an eyesore to a degree for potential employers.

Manhattan New York Chapter

Some employers are willing to take a chance with an apprentice, especially if you prove you can do the work. There are lots of opportunities out there so keep your head up!

Default discouraged

I have had several interviews, they always want experience. I don't have it. I am capable, I've got my cpc-a. I just wish I could find the right place who is willing to give me a shot.

Tacoma, WA

Excellent words of encouragement and congratulations on your new job!

I passed my CPC-A this past December and I thought I had a job lined up through a friend, but it fell through. I was getting somewhat frustrated at not even getting interviews that when my AAPC membership came up for renewal last month, I considered not renewing. Last week I got a call from a hospital that I applied at back in January. I interviewed this past Monday and was offered the job earlier today.

You're right it can be done.

Mark Kozu, CPC-A

Oakbrook IL

Thank you for the encouraging words !!!!! If you hear of any apprenticeships in your office PLEASE let us " A's " know !!!!! Thank you !!!!

you are lucky you have already got the med. office experience I worked 13 yrs for Aetna medicare in ptld but have been away for at least that long and have never worked in"a medical office setting 1 yr+". .there is nothing I can do about this short fall and am no longer a spring chick with only myself to rely on. I have decided to let my cert. lapse and not renew my dues. I can not continue to buy books on my present wages. I will still keep my eyes open and If a job comes along that has a future I can always re-cert. this is a tough time and am grateful that my work ethic keeps me working full time. Good luck to you all in your search .. MB