AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bombed on the CPC Exam

Default Bombed on the CPC Exam

AAPC: Back to School
    There were only two other that took the exam w/me today. One lady had to take it for her job and she was still sitting when I left & the other left about mid-way through it and realizing that she was just wasting her time I guess. I knew that speed would be my biggest factor & sure enough, it was I don't think I finished but a little more than half before having to just fill in answers. I've done all the practice exams offered through here, but found the actual exam to be more difficult. I felt like I had to guess a lot more on the exam today. I now see why many coders out there haven't taken it ---- and I'm sure they would do better then someone coming out of school

I'm not sure how much more I'm willing to invest in this.

Default In the same boat

Although, I have not attempted the exam yet, I am very leary of spending yet another $300 to do so. I have just finished the Advanced class, and I know I am not ready for the exam. I am not worried so much about finding the correct code, but the time it takes me to do so. If anyone out there has any suggestions, please advise.

Default CPC Exam Thoughts

Well, I took a short course, finished in April and sat for the exam in late July. I passed. You can, too. Here's what I did. Many, many practice exams. I tried to get my speed up to 30 questions per hour. Don't look up every code. If there is one code, different from the others, it's probably not the answer. If you find a code that list the specifics of the question, trust that it is the code and move to the next to one. Time is the key. If you can find someone who has taken the exam, pick their brain. Good luck.

I have been a CPC since 1999. I took the exam twice and passed. My advice,TAKE YOU WATCH OFF YOUR ARM AND DO NOT LOOK AT IT UNTIL YOU HAVE FINISHED ALL THE ?S I missed the exam by 1 point because I misread my watch. I swore I would not take it again but I did and passed. Keep on trying and good luck to you all.

Shirley Schwartz,CPC

Los Alamitos CA

know your modifiers, it was very helpful for me to elimate. and dont leave anything blank, good luck..

1) Skip the index and go straight to the tabular to look up the four options that you are given

2) Skip long and difficult questions on the exam (and bubble sheet) and go back to them at the end if you have time.

3) When guessing make an educated one. Ex: If you are in the musculoskeletal section (20000 codes) your answer will likely have a 20000 code listed

4) Knowing some med term and anatomy can hepl you more than you think

5) A lot of the correct answers have codes that are repeated in at least two of the options with only a slight variation (Ex: Option A and B may be identical except A has a modifier and B does not)

6) 95% of the question have the answer some where in one of the manuals. Read your guidelines and know your modifiers!

7) Google "CPC practice exam", there are a lot of free and cheap practice out there (and practice is the best way to study).

There's a good practice exam here (150 questions for $19.99) http://www.medicalbillingandmedicalc...cticeexam.html

Good luck to you and don't give up!

Default CPC Exam - Helpful Suggestions

I feel your pain...I just sat for the CPC exam for the 2nd time since June. I had spent a lot of money between school and the actual cost of the exam. Thankfully, I passed this time!

I just finished my schooling in May for my coding certificate at a local community college. I felt that I was ready to take the CPC exam. I knew my material, but time was the enemy for the actual exam. After feeling defeated from not passing the first time, I was determined more than ever to get the exam passed the second time around. I felt that reviewing what I had just done would be a waste of my time. The actual exam was much harder than any practice exams that I taken on my own.

After doing a little searching on the internet I found a great set of dvd's called "Coding Blitz". These dvd's show you how to highlight and mark up your CPC book, how to manage your time and other helpful hints. Due to the cost of the dvd's I would suggest that you may want to go in with a couple of people and split the cost and share the dvds.

I would say the three most important things to consider to prep for the exam are watch your time, know your modifiers, and know your guidelines. Do NOT spend too much time on any one question. If you get stuck, move and and make your best educated guess. Remember, it's not about what you know it's more about time management. Don't worry about getting all 150 questions right, worry about getting 105 questions right because this is the number you need to pass the exam.

I would also recommend taking your exam at a larger local chapter. The first time I took mine it was in a suburb of a major city. The next time I took it was in a major city. The proctors were a little more "seasoned" and I felt that this helped me more in the end. Now that you know what to expect after the first try you will be able to do better the second time around. Try not to feel defeated and you will be able to pass.

Good Luck!

Red face CPC Exam

I just took my CPC Exam this Saturday, just waiting for the results, can be more nerve wrecking (LOL), what help me out was that I bought the Practice Exams from AAPC. It was a great tool to use and have. When it was time for the test, I was confident and ready. . I finished 4 1/2 hours. So hang in there, yes time can be cruel and it can put some pressure, But if you practice and read you guidlines you shouldn't be scare to take it. A note to gmuslimani you haven't taken the test yet, so you only paid once and god forbid you don't pass you can take it the second time free. DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!! THE REWARD AT THE END IS THE BEST TO COME!!!! SO KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!!

Smile I passed the first time

I took the AAPC 10 month class..I studied every night for an hr or two. I did a work book, but near the end I just read the guide lines for each section and went through the book so I would know where everything was.
    I was nervous the day of the test and figured if I failed I would try again. I failed the midterm and the final test just before the "BIG" test..so I was worried.
    My instructor gave me a tip on how to get faster on getting the answers. I used a timer and set it for 20 minutes..my goal was to get 10 questions done. I kept working at it and was finally able to answer all 10 correctly..it really helped me with my speed. I got done early!
    Good luck on your next try!

I feel your pain, I took the test 8/31 and did not pass. It was disheartening to me that I did not pass. I did extremely well in school and currently work as a coder. But I guess I just wasn't prepared, I really didn't know what to expect. It was harder than I thought. I work with a total of 6 coders, 5 of them did not pass the first time and the other on is AHIMA Certified. They say at least now that you know the format of the test, it should be a little easier when you take it. I don't want to spend more money (that I don't have either) on purchasing practice test. Good luck to your
    Last edited by gabrielle1211; 10-03-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: unwanted emails

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast