AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outsourcing Billing to India

Salt Lake City

Default Outsourcing to India

AAPC: Back to School
    Regardless of the outcome of health reform, the fed's emphasis on accuracy and proper billing will no doubt stay. The overall climate to reduce wasteful federal spending will mean more scrutiny and recovery of payments. Commercial payers are already adopting this attitude, as well. Your doc should really consider the risk being taken by sending coding to India, about which there are so many HIPAA and accuracy concerns being raised already. This isn't the time to be penny wise and pound foolish. Saving money overseas may be spent three-fold later on when the auditors arrive.

Are you kidding me? Has no one had to deal with insurance companies that have outsourced their physician customer service to India? I can't imagine it would save money.

The last company I worked for was bought out by another company who sent the coding aspect to India. The philosophy of this new company was to get the charges out "as is" no matter how inaccurate the coding and "we'll catch it on the back side". I can't imagine what the A/R looks like now. I know that the few coders still working there as auditors are very unhappy as they know they can do it correctly from the beginning; all the while reducing the days to payment. Not to mention, who wants to be in the office at 2 in the morning or 11 at night just to talk to someone on the otherside of the world. I don't recommend outsourcing. As so many here have already said, keep the jobs here. We understand the language, we're in the same time zone, and when questions arise we can talk to our doctors face to face. What you save in cost will be lost in translation!

Good luck...

If you are still looking for reasons not to shoot me an email - I can give you plenty! I have first hand experience with their work!

There was a bill in congress to make it illegal to offshore medical information.

This is an old link to more information. I would try to persuade him not to consider doing this.

Renee, CPC
    The Best Things in Life Aren't Things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12