Would the use of CPT code 27685 lenghtening or shortening of tendon (seperate procedure) be allowed with repair of a tear of the Achilles tendon CPT code 27650? The surgeon brought patient into OR to lengthen Achilles tendon for gastroc soleus equinus, upon exposure of the Achilles a tear was found & repaired, along with the lengthening.
I have read the CPT code book on the definition of a "seperate procedure" and am confused by statement "however when a procedure or service that is designated as a seperate procedure is carried out independently or considered to be unrelated or distinct from other procedures/service provided at that time, it may be reported by appending the 59 modifier." Would this be a scenario that allows for 27650 to be assigned. The procedure was done in the same area/same incision. I have asked my supervisor for her interpretation & was informed I would only used 27685 however would like clarification of my confusion.
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join