AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Decortication with Lobectomy

Default Decortication with Lobectomy

AAPC: Back to School
    Ok so what would you say:

DX: PE, Empyema w/ complete hepatization of the right lower lobe w/complete consolidation and necrotic right lower lobe.

Procedure: Rt Thoracotomy w/ decortication of the entire right chest cavity along with right lower lobe lobectomy.

Would you code 32220 and 32480/ or is one included in the other. Or, is there a completely different code all together.

Kris Felty, CPC, CCC, CCVTC

New Delhi, India

I agree with coding 32480 for lobectomy, but since only right chest cavity is decorticated, it makes it partial decort and hence I would code 32225 with mod 51 instead of 32220.

Girish Dadhich, CPC

I would bill the 32480 with a note in the decription of right lower lobe and then the decortication 32220-51 with description on entire rt lung. They will deny at first and you will need to send notes. I have had that happen when a lower lobectomy and an upper segmentectomy are performed at the same time. I will usually get 50% on the second case but it will go to appeal first.

Similar Threads

1. VATS decortication w/ Pleurodesis
    By R1CPC in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2015, 11:45 AM
  2. Decortication renal cyst
    By hencked in forum Urology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2013, 09:14 AM
  3. Thorascopic evacuation and decortication
    By ndriley10 in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 3