Can't find actual codes in books??

Default Can't find actual codes in books??
    Exam Training Packages
    I am studying for the CPC exam and can not locate the codes in any of my coding books, even though the codes below were shown as the "correct" answer. Apparently, I'm not looking where I should be??

32.3 Segmental resection of lung
    58.5 Release of urethral stricture

If I understand correctly, CPT codes are 5 digits, ICD-9-CM are 3 digits (plus any after decimal), but what are 2 digits? I can't locate the above codes in any of my books!

If anyone could be tell me what book (ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS) and section I could locate these codes, I would greatly appreciate it!

It looks like the codes in your example are from ICD-9 volume 3--for hospitals. Not all ICD-9 books come with volume 3...usually just vols 1 and 2: the tabular and index, respectively.

That is vol 3 of your CPT manual; this is for procedures for facility (hosp) side. Hope this helps, physician based uses vol 1 & 2 of cpt manual.

Eleanora Reeves CPC-A

Quote Originally Posted by eleanora reeves View Post
    That is vol 3 of your CPT manual; this is for procedures for facility (hosp) side. Hope this helps, physician based uses vol 1 & 2 of cpt manual.

Eleanora Reeves CPC-A
    It is vol 3 ICD-9 CM not CPT. Vol 3 is procedures for inpatient facility coding.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Thank you all so much for the information! I was going CRAZY trying to figure this out!

Currently, none of the credentialing exams offered by the AAPC include Volume 3 ICD-9 procedure coding. They mainly concentrate on outpatient and professional services. So if you are practicing for the actual CPC exam, you will not need to worry about those types of codes at all.

Thanks for the information! I was using a study guide (note the AAPC one) and a couple of non-CPC exam questions must have been accidently used. Thanks again!

When I took the CPC-P, there were questions on volume III of ICD-9 . . . not sure where the previous poster gets her information. Of course, the exam could've changed since then, though I'm doubtful of that.