AAPC - Back to school

Thread: TAllen

Question TAllen

AAPC: Back to School
    I am new to dermatology and I need some help with procedure codes 17311,17312,17313,
    17314 and 17315. This is my question:
    Patient comes into the office we do the following Mohs surgery: head, neck,hands and feet area.
    1st stage-7
    2nd stage-12
    3rd stage-10
    4th satge-5
    5th stage-6
    How would you bill it? I am being told several different ways and I want to be sure that I understand the correct way to bill it.

I think a little clairification of what was done is in order. I'm not sure what you meant by:

"1st stage-7
    2nd stage-12
    3rd stage-10
    4th satge-5
    5th stage-6"

Did your physician treat 7 lesions on the same patient? Mohs is pretty straightforward. Example: A patient comes in with a BCC on the nose. Physician does 3 stages and a 5.0 cm complex closure. You would bill as follows:
    17312 x 2

If you have further questions feel free to message me or post an op note.

Default tallen

a patient has 3 stages of Mohs performed on a lesion right forehead.
    1st stage-excised tissue cut into 10 sections
    2nd stage- 14 sections were excised
    3rd stage- 16 sections were excised
    tumor cells were identified on permanent sectioning and the tumor eradication was considered incomplete after a total of 3 stages of surgery in which mulitple microscopic
    slides of 40 sections had been examined.

Would it be billed as follows
    17311- 1 units
    17312- 3 units
    17315- would be billed separately 20 times with a 76 modifier

3 stages of Mohs on the forehead would be billed as follows:

17311- 1unit
    17312- 2 units

Remember the 17312 is each ADDITIONAL stage after the first. So by billing 17312 x 3, you're saying that the patient had a TOTAL of 4 stages of Mohs.

In your example, you would bill 17315- 25 units

You said that the first stage was cut into 10 sections. The 17311 code Includes the first 5 tissue blocks, so for the first stage you have 5 extra blocks you can bill
    2nd stage was cut into 14 sections.. Again the first 5 were included, leaving you with 9 extra. 3rd stage was cut into 16 sections. The first 5 were included, leaving you with 11.
    So 5+9+11= 25

Smile JessH2618

Thanks for your help in this .The way you stated it was the way that I had said but when you have people telling you that it is not correct you start questioning yourself, thanks again for your help.