AAPC - Back to school
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Not worth the money put into CPC

AAPC: Back to School
    Quote Originally Posted by steffiegreg View Post

You raised some interesting points about really thinking is this the field I wish to enter in. I did do some research before taking classes about a year ago at the local community college. We are about the complete the 2nd part of the medical coding course. Some of my classmate are probably more ready to take it than I am. But my plan will be to study the guidelines, read the textbook again and practice, practice, practice. Hopefully I will be ready to take the exam in the spring.

Thanks for the insight.

You are welcome. You will know when the time is right for you to sit for the exam. I wish you the best as you continue your studies and work toward your goal.
    Teresa Collins, CPC

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Collins View Post

You are welcome. You will know when the time is right for you to sit for the exam. I wish you the best as you continue your studies and work toward your goal.

Stuart, FL

I took the test quite a few years ago, andI don't know if it has changed much. I found in addition to the items you have already mentioned, other keys to passing the test were knowing your modifiers and being very familiar with the Guidelines at the beginning of each section. You can often eliminate a wrong answer because the modifer is incorrect. For example, if you see a surgical code with a modifier 25. You don't need to waste time looking up the code because the answer is already wrong due to the incorrect modifier. If you really know the modifiers without having to look them up in addition to the code, you will likely speed up your test taking time.

I found that the answers to a significant number of questions were in the guidelines. So, for your last minute "cramming session" re-read all the guidelines and modifiers.

One last tip - Don't waste time looking up answers that are obviously wrong. The multiple choice questions usually have at least one or two answers that are obviously wrong; eliminate them early and focus on the answers that are likely to be correct. Your modifiers will help you eliminate wrong answers as well as terms like "open, " "closed, " "laproscopic," etc.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345