Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Not worth the money put into CPC

1. Angry Not worth the money put into CPC
    Medical Coding Books
    I just took my CPC test for the second time, and failed again. Apparently not my field.
    The test is very hard. I am not wasting any more time or money on this.

2. Default
    Yikes! :{

Er define "hard"? Were the questions confusing? Did you just not have enough time?
    Am looking to take the test myself come November so I'd like to know what I need to look out for.

3. Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by rapunzelkk@yahoo.com View Post
    Yikes! :{

Er define "hard"? Were the questions confusing? Did you just not have enough time?
    Am looking to take the test myself come November so I'd like to know what I need to look out for.
    It is extremely time consuming. I did what they recommended. I started with the easy ones first, but still had to guess at the last 5 to 10 questions, because I didn't have enough time. Good luck to you

4. Default
    I pass my test from 2nd time. You have to start from terminology, then answer all the questions with short explanation ...... So on......you will pass it. Good luck!

5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by maksleana@yahoo.com View Post
    I pass my test from 2nd time. You have to start from terminology, then answer all the questions with short explanation ...... So on......you will pass it. Good luck!
    I just took the test for the second time and passed. It is not hard but you should be mindful of spending to much time on one question. Study the guidelines for each section. Start withthe easy answers first. If you need to skip a quesion mark it in the book. I did process of elimination. You will see what I meean when you look at the test. I looked up the diagnosis code first to see which went with my operative notes. Good luck!!!! If you don't passed the first or second time it is worth taking it again.

Default not really hard
    Quote Originally Posted by juliabiz@hotmail.com View Post
    I just took my CPC test for the second time, and failed again. Apparently not my field.
    The test is very hard. I am not wasting any more time or money on this.
    I don't think the test is "hard" I just think you need to know your guidelines and where to look in your books for the answers. The only hard thing ( in my opinion ) is the time limit you have BUT if you know your book sections etc...you should be fine.

Most people that I've talked to that I've proctored exams for have said it's the time factor that kills ya. If you need, tab your books, I see alot more people doing that now a days too.
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Thats scary for me. I am taking the test the 2nd time in a week. I thought it was hard the 1st go round myself. I'm trying to take notes here that I did not do before as I finished the test with 10 minutes to spare the 1st time.
    I will:

1. take a highlighter
    2. mark in my exam book (didnt think I could before)
    3. Choose from the answers given - instead of looking up the codes
    4. Leave the questions I get stuck on for later
    5. Make sure I read the entire question as 1 one word could make the difference

Is there any thing I missed?
    Thanks in advance

I have to agree with Roxanne. You must know the guidelines and where to look in the books for the answers. However, I did not write anything in any of my books, added no tabs, etc. and passed the exam on the first try in 2006.

I think an important part of becoming a Certified Coder is in knowing that this is what you want to do......that this is "your field". Working as a Certified Coder and/or medical insurance biller is not for everyone. It is not something to go into because a friend suggested it to you or you find that some Certified Coders make lots of money.

I think being a Certified Professional Coder is not "what you do", it is a part of "who you are".

Before spending the money/taking the exam, look deep inside yourself and know without a doubt that this is what you want.....that this is "who you are". If you decide that it is, then study hard (I used the AAPC study guide and read CPT, ICD-9 and HCPS) and you'll do just fine.

I hope someone finds this information to be beneficial to them.

Respectfully,
    Teresa Collins, CPC

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by kmayes View Post

Thats scary for me. I am taking the test the 2nd time in a week. I thought it was hard the 1st go round myself. I'm trying to take notes here that I did not do before as I finished the test with 10 minutes to spare the 1st time.
    I will:

1. take a highlighter
    2. mark in my exam book (didnt think I could before)
    3. Choose from the answers given - instead of looking up the codes
    4. Leave the questions I get stuck on for later
    5. Make sure I read the entire question as 1 one word could make the difference

Is there any thing I missed?
    Thanks in advance
    Hey,
    You are doing the smart thing, your list is right on the mark. I did all those things the 1st time around and it really helps...Really helps to know your book and different places to find answers..Always read the guidelines if u are stuck on choosing between two answers. I did think the test was hard,but mostly because of the timeframe it takes to complete it.. I am opposite of everyone about the order to do things. I did the test from front to back which was the paragraph long scenarios..that way I got the time consuming ones out of the way and breezed thru the easy answers at the end....I marked 3 I was confused about and read the guidelines again...I barely passed w/a 70--but I dont care as long as I passed. I always struggle w/taking long tests--I'm too tired to think by the end and that's why I did the hard stuff 1st--before I got frustrated...
    --Good luck !!!!

@kd289 - exactly. I just worked through all the questions from start to finish, my test had hard questions in the front, and easy ones in back... guess the luck of the draw. But for me, it was a matter of answering the ones that took thought first, and the ones that I new immediately I left for the last ten minutes, so I wouldn't and didn't freak out.

But tabs and quick notes all over my books also really helped out. I passed my first try.
    Good luck to you on your next attempt.
    my future is so bright, I hafta wear

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast