AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Cardioversion with TEE

Default Cardioversion with TEE

AAPC: Back to School
    If patient has a cardioversion with a TEE, can you code both procedures if coding for the anesthesiologist? If so, should I code a modifier 59 on the TEE?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: cardioversion and tee

Yes, you can code both of them however, the one with the highest asa (the 01922) will generally get picked. The cardioversion was external, correct?

Yes, external cardioversion 92960. So, I should just charge for the TEE? I was confused because when studying for the CANPC exam, it stated that TEEs are typically bundled with anesthesia services but can also be reported separately if performed for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes. When documentation permits, append modifier 59 (Distinct procedural service) to the procedure code to indicate the service should be bundled. So, I coded for the TEE because of the higher base value, but I didn't know if I could also charge for the 92960.

I just did further research and now have come to the conclusion that only the TEE can be billed (because it has the higher base value). If the anesthesiologist actually did the TEE and not just administered anesthesia for it, then we could bill separately for it with a modifier 59. In our office, we do not handle cardiac cases, so this would never be the case.

Similar Threads

1. TEE with cardioversion
    By JPlomin in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2015, 05:55 PM
  2. TEE wtih cardioversion
    By lclemen in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 03:16 PM
  3. TEE W/ External Cardioversion
    By ValerieBatesHoffCPCCPMA in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 1