AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Payments on Mod 59

Default Payments on Mod 59

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a question about when you bill with Mod 59. My doctor is understanding that when you bill with a mod 59, that you will be paid at 100%of the contracted rate. for example, he is a oncolgy surgeon and does a lot of melanoma surgery. He will bill for one patient:
    The insurance is paying the first code correctly and then paying the rest at the multiple procedure rule. Is there any way around this?
    Please help so I can explain to my doctor.

The payor will pay based on your contract with that carrier regardless of modifiers used.

Milwaukee WI

Default -59 modifier

The -59 modifier will allow you to bill a code that might otherwise be bundled into another code. It does NOT give you 100% reimbursement.

Bear in mind that total reimbursement includes pre- and post-operative care. You aren't going to see the patient for each procedure separately are you?
    So the multiple procedure "discount" would apply.

Hope this helps you explain it to your doc.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Va payments
    By OEHMLER5 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 07:20 AM
  2. Timely Payments
    By companey in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
  3. Medicaid ER payments
    By camilleb in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM
  4. mod 25 & mod 59 with a 94664 (inhaler)
    By jsa1517 in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 02:46 PM