Results 1 to 8 of 8

Anesthesiologist and CRNA Billed at the same time???

  1. Default Anesthesiologist and CRNA Billed at the same time???
    Medical Coding Books
    Have a provider billing for 01992-QY and 01992-QX for a diagnostic spinal injection. Neither is performing the actual injection. The documentation supports conscious sedation. Are they both entitled to bill 01992? And I am also seeing where there is a 5 base units and we would never bill over 30 mins if I had a patient under for 6 mins would that be 1 unit? So when billing would I put in 6 units and then TOS 7 and Minutes 6?

  2. Default
    Yes, you can bill for 01992 for both dr and CRNA with appropriate modifiers. 01992 carries a base of 5 plus the 1 unit for time, so total time units would be 6 and the type of service is 7. Also, anes code 01991 states anesthesia for diagnostic or therapeutic nerve blocks and injections when block or injection is performed by a different provider.

  3. Default 01991 or 01992
    So if all of our patients are in the prone position we would only use the 01992 correct?

  4. Default Also
    Do I put them on two seperate claims or bill on one?

    01992 QX and 01992 QY?

  5. Default
    Yes, your codes and modifiers are correct and can be placed on one claim. We submit all our claims this way. Most insurances accept one claim for both charges, however, special commerical insurances may break down into 2 claims themselves and pay separately.

  6. Default
    Thank you soo much for your help!!!!

  7. #7
    The way I am billing Anesthesiologist and CRNA involved in one case is on two separate claims when using QY and QX. I place the total minutes of the case in the units field on the CMS-1500 and QS modifier as needed. This way they pay one claim under the anesthesiologist NPI at 50 percent and the other claim is submitted under the CRNA's NPI which will be paid at 50 percent to add up as 100 percent of the allowable as if it was billed as AA or QZ as a single claim. This is from a Medicare concept of billing, but I don't hear about too many problems from the private payers.

  8. #8
    I reread the initial question that states conscious sedation---I was referring to general or MAC in my previous post. If it was indicated that it was conscious sedation I would use the appropriate codes for this service.

Similar Threads

  1. 99140 for Anesthesiologist and CRNA?
    By in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 09:34 AM
  2. CRNA & Anesthesiologist - Same Tax ID?
    By schargis01 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2014, 03:53 PM
  3. Split billing Anesthesiologist and CRNA
    By stockekt in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2014, 05:14 AM
  4. Anesthesiologist /CRNA doing pain injections
    By seslinger in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 11:05 AM
  5. Anesthesiologist/CRNA billing
    By neecen in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 10:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?


Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.