AAPC - Back to school

Thread: 12001

Default 12001

AAPC: Back to School
    Needing some clarification on wounds treated in the office please. Can you charge repair codes if just using steri strips? We have a Coding Companion book in our office which indicates under "Coding Tips" - Wounds treated with cleansing, irrigation, and control of bleeding qualify as a simple repair even if they are not closed with sutures. Would you charge the repair code or just an E/M code. Thanks!

It was my understanding that wound repairs using steri-strips aren't separately chargable. That it would be included in the E&M service, but I may be wrong. I'd like to know how others are charging this as well.

Duluth, Minnesota

my understanding is the same as Treetoads - using steristrips "alone", ONLY steristrips is included in the E/M.
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

North Carolina

I'm with Donna and "L"

Adhesive strip repair
    I used Steri-Strips to close a wound on my patient's arm. What repair code should I use?

There isn't any CPT code for a simple wound closure using only adhesive strips. Codes 12001-13160—for simple, intermediate, or complex repairs—are for wound closures using sutures, staples, or tissue adhesives such as Dermabond, either by themselves or in some combination. But repairing a laceration with adhesive strips shouldn't be coded as a repair. You should include the application in the appropriate E&M code you report for the visit.

The author, Barbara F. Halenar, is an associate editor of Medical Economics. She is a member of the American Academy of Professional Coders.

Similar Threads

1. Help !! 11601/12001 denied
    By CODING1234 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 01:58 PM
  2. Code 12001
    By kwhite2008 in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM
  3. no global days for simple suture repair(12001-12018)
    By maryperry in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
  4. Change in global period for 12001-12018
    By RebeccaWoodward* in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
  5. Simple repairs (12001 and 17000) & E&M....
    By dirctn2pnt@outlook.com in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM