AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time going to take CPC exam

Thumbs up Anne

AAPC: Back to School
    I just passed this in June on the first try. I was scared and didn't move the whole time and had to rush to fill in the last 10 questions without even looking for the answer. Practice with the timing and be familiar with the books. I went to school with the 2010 and tested on 2011 without taking the time to practice with the new books was a huge disadavantage. There were alot of changes and things were moved around. Good luck, just take a deep breath and answer every question, don't leave any question unanswered, it can make the difference!

Smile CPC Exam...

I just took the test Sept. 18, 2011 and I passed.

I also took a coding boot camp in May of this year and I think that played a huge part in me passing the test as well as coding on a daily basis.

WRITE IN YOUR BOOKS!!! I tabbed the pictures in the CPT and ICD-9 books so if I didn't know where something was I could look at the pic. I wrote notes in my books! Make sure you read the question, watch for medicare ones. There are not trick questions but you must read the questions.

A hint we were given at our camp was to work on the first section for 1 hour, the third section for 1 hour and then go back tot he middle and do the surgery section. I got confused on that part b/c my test wasn't set up that way. But I did jump around. You are given 2 minutes and 15 seconds per question. I read each one, looked at the four answers that were given and did process of elimination. If I got down to 2 answers and wasn't totally sure on one, then I highlighted it in my test booklet and moved on. After I finished the test I went back and looked at the 2 remaning answers...then made a decision. I did not second quess any of my answers and left the first answer I marked on the bubble sheet.

If I came across a section I wasn't familar with since I work in a family practice and don't see any surgeries, cardiology, or other extensive areas...those are the ones I skipped.
    I also took snacks and water, extra pencils and a highlighter. If youa re concerned on time..2 of the ladies that took that test the same time I did...had a clock or a timer that they used...I think that would haver helped me. I finished with 10 minutes to spare.

Oh yeah, if your proctor doesn't mention that they will let you know when an hour or half hour is left, ask them to announce it.

Go potty before the test starts...I was afraid to leave b/c there are no breaks!

I wish you good luck!!! Stay positive!! I hope this helps...feel free to contact me if you have more questions!

I just took mine in September and passed on first try . AAPC has the rules for books on their website. I really found it was easiest to go from beginning to end with no skipping but do what feels right to you. Also most answers I got from the CPT and then if I could only get down to 2 would use ICD. Do not use index unless needed it slows you down. Good luck

51/2 hours goes so fast... Do not leave any answers blank. As soon as the test started, I went to the last 10 answers and just filled them in w/ random answers... If you do run out of time those will be filled in and you have a chance of getting some right. If you do not run out of time you can answer them correctly when you get to them.

Default suggestion

I took the professional CPC exam around this time last year, and passed on my first go, and the biggest thing that I could suggest, and I will be doing this again when I head off to take the hospital cert test, is see if you can have someone take you to the testing site or at least try not to drive to the site yourself. I had one of my parents drive me to the site for my test and it turned out to be a good thing. By the time that I was done with it, I was mentally and physically tired; completely worn out.

just a thought.

I took the test on Sept 24 and do not have my results back as of yet. I feel I failed. You need all three books and I did not know to start in the back first.

Took my test on 9/10/11 and passed on first try. The extra time I took In the first portion of the test panicked me. So next I completed anatomy and terminology, which I am good at. Then I completed the middle portion with around 15 min to spare. I used that time to go
    back and revisit some of the questions I was not very sure of. I had marked them. Took one short break. Good luck!

I passed the test on the first try. One piece of advice that I was given was to start at the back of the test and work your way forward. I had time to spare in the end. Good luck!

The books you need to bring are the current ICD-9 and HCPCS (these can be from any publisher) and the CPT must be from AMA. You can check the AAPC website to see which books are allowed. Oh and bring extra pencils.

I am currently studying to take the CPC within the next few months. How many medical terminology questions are there? Also how should I go about studying the medical terminology?

How much of the test is medical terminology and is this something i should concentrate on as well?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast