AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time going to take CPC exam

Default First time going to take CPC exam

AAPC: Back to School
    October 1,2011 will be my first time taking the test. Any suggestions on what books I need to take and what I need to know or do to be ready? I am really nervous at timed tests so its starting to get to me as the date gets closer. Please help, any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sacramento, CA

Default taking CPC exam

When I took my CPC exam 5 years ago, we had to have a current CPT, ICD-9, and HCPCS book, but I am not sure what's required/allowed now. I would suggest 2 things: do NOT leave any answers blank-at least make a guess because you know for sure a blank answer will be marked wrong. And second, I found using my ICD9 sort of like a dictionary helped me a lot: one of my first questions was about hallux valgus which I had NO idea was a hammetoe at the time, but by looking up hallux valgus I was able to pick the right code. Also, my coding teacher told us to skip around and do the Surgery sections since it is the biggest-and try to take advantage of the breaks allowed-it really helps to get up and stretch! Good luck!!

Kristina, CPC, CANPC

Default CPC exam

I just took the test on Sept 10, 2011. I finished with not a second to spare. No breaks are given, you can take breaks but the time clock will not stop when you do so. I found it easier to start at the end first. The test is composed of 15, with 10 questions in each section. It is sequenced by CPT chapters. Work on timing yourself and skip the questions that have multiple coding answers, and come back to them at the end. Hope this helps.

I just took the CPC exam in August 2011. This is what I was told to bring.

2011 books required:
    The ICD-9 and HCPCS can be from any publisher, but the CPT must be from AMA.

Default CPC took exam on Sept 10

Pass first try thanks my school they rock !!!

Tacoma, WA

Bring extra pencils, a ruler, some water and some snacks.

Pace yourself and keep in mind that you only need to get 105 correct to pass. In other words, don't stress out over any one question. If you're not getting it, move on and come back to it if time allows.
    Last edited by espressoguy; 09-24-2011 at 06:05 PM.

I took my exam 9/10/11 and Passed.. You are required ICD-9 HCPCS any publisher except expert editions, and CPT AMA published.. Pace yourself. Dont take to long on any one question. Work the section you are more confident first and work your way to the hardest ones. Dont over stress and over work yourself it will be ok..Good Luck..

I just passed my CPC and it was my second try I hate to say. What I did different this time was to go through the exam exactly as it was presented. I skipped around the first time, answering what I was more comfortable with, and ran out of time. I also, the first try, started marking my answers on the test booklet instead of answer form. Big mistake, was scrambling to enter my answers on form at the last minute. I originally thought this would be faster then filling in the circles properly, not true. Good Luck.

I just passed my CPC on my second try. I think it is really normal to have to do it in two tries so doubt be upset if you have to do it twice--i think that's why you get a free retake. Anyway, time management is the key. Look at the end of the test first and there are questions that you should try to answer first. then don't spend too much time on the harder questions.
    Good Luck

I passed the exam last December. The practice tests I used had the terminology questions first, then moved on to coding. The exam was just the opposite and that really threw me off. The first question took me about 10 minutes! Then I was panicking and only on the first of 150 questions. Luckily, I calmed down and got into a good rhythm after that. I finished with 10 minutes to spare. I was so tense during the 5 1/2 hours that I could barely get out of my chair to turn it in. I would recommend taking some ibuprofen before the test if you are over 40. The terminology questions at the end were a welcome respite.
    Good Luck to you!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast