AAPC - July Freedom Sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICD-9 Coding for AAA - Status Post Repair

Default ICD-9 Coding for AAA - Status Post Repair

A primary care patient was seen in our office for a followup. He had an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm repair done by another physician. Primary care physician evaluated patient's Hypertension, Osteoarthrosis, and the surgery site. We are not specifically managing the patient's post operative care, that will be done by the clinician who performed the surgery. Assessment Reads: HTN, OA, AAA. If the patient is status post repair, would you still use the code for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm 441.4 or is there a personal history code that you would use instead? I have been unable to locate one that sounds correct. Thank you for your input.
    Heather Winters, CPC, CFPC

You only code for what your doctor is seeing(treating) the patient for.

Default ICD-9 Status Post AAA Repair

He is seeing patient for a follow up, one of the Dx is AAA, however it has been repaired. I am having problems discerning what would be the appropriate icd-9 code to accurately reflect that portion of his visit.
    Heather Winters, CPC, CFPC

Use could use a V15.1 or V43.4 if you really felt you wanted to use it in your dx

As per ICD guideline, 'status post' indicate that 'a patient is either a carrier of a disease or has the sequelae or residual of a past disease or condition & also status code is distinct from a history code. The history code indicates that the patient no longer has the condition'. Owing to this, a history code cannot be choosen and so a direct code should be taken. Eg: CAD s/p CABG implies 414.00 and V45.81.

Default Aaa

Are you sure the AAA is not still present? The physician lists it as a current diagnosis. In most cases, when an AAA is repaired, it does not remove the AAA itself, therefore it is still present. I would code it as such. Per the Guidelines, you should code all conditions that have the potential to affect decision making or care. I would code 441.4 because the condition was addressed by the physician and the incision site was examined.

Default ACL with Status Post Failed ACL

Patient came in for Pre-op for ACL repair. Patient previous had a Status post Failed ACL. and is going to have ACL sx again. Previously had sx 6months,. Can I and should I code the status post failed ACL sx and if So which codes would appropiate.

Thanks
    Veronica Rangel
    Veronica Rangel,CPC

What about V12.59 + V15.1? Can both be reported?

Default Would an Aftercare Code Apply?

Would V58.73 apply here, in the hospital setting just after surgery? I was thinking on that first, then a history code.

Anyone else with input into this code?

Default AAA Repair Response

2017 ICD-10-CM Coding Book

Just to clarify, I was responding to the question on AAA repair, not the newer one about the ACL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast