AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Modifier usage?

Default Modifier usage?

AAPC: Back to School
    Hello I was wondering if I could get some advice on this. We had a pt come in for a 61790 (PSR) one month. And then came in the next month for a repeat procedure. MCR paid the 1st procedure. For the second, I had used -58 modifier and it was denied. Which I know I shouldn't have used this one from the beginning now. But then I thought, ok I'll use the -78 since it's still in the global period. And then that was denied.

Now I am confused, I know I need to add something but IDK which one. If you could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it. I should mention that I work in an ASC.

Manhattan, NY

Forgive me for playing "the devil's advocate," but this procedure is performed to destroy gasserian ganglion right? If that is the case, how can you repeat the procedure? What was the denial reason?

Modifier 76 may be your winner -

76 is only used if the service is repeated on the same day by the same provider.

Similar Threads

1. 62 modifier usage
    By AESCPC in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 02:37 PM
  2. Usage of modifier -25 and -59
    By Summer in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 06:21 AM
  3. Modifier 92 Usage
    By Labgirl in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 0