Pacemaker placement

Default Pacemaker placement
    Medical Coding Books
    I have a cardiologist who has a general surgeon create and place the pacemaker in the pocket and the cardiologist then connects the leads only. Does anyone know how to bill for this? We have been billing for the surgeon only and have tried using modifier 80 for the cardiologist but this was denied. Any suggestions?

Let me see if I can find some info. It makes sense they are denying the 80. That is for an assistant surgeon and Cardio docs are not surgeons; you can also check your edits to see if an 80 is allowable on the code you're billing. Never really had this scenario before. Are you biling separate claims for the cardio and CT surgeon? You should capture the work for each physician. 33217 for the cardio and then your code for the CT surgeon.
    Julie Graham, BA, CPC, CCC

Quote Originally Posted by lhbrady1959 View Post
    I have a cardiologist who has a general surgeon create and place the pacemaker in the pocket and the cardiologist then connects the leads only. Does anyone know how to bill for this? We have been billing for the surgeon only and have tried using modifier 80 for the cardiologist but this was denied. Any suggestions?
    Use Modifier-62, but both docs have to have their own surgical report, and both docs have to use the modifier.
    HTH,
    Jim Pawloski, CIRCC

Default thanks
    Thanks, y'all !

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-24-2015, 04:37 AM
  2. Cardiac Pacemaker Placement
    By maine4me in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2015, 10:28 AM
  3. Removal of ICD and placement of Pacemaker
    By denisek1028 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM
  4. Not normal pacemaker placement - help!
    By hencked in forum Cardiology
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 06:16 AM
  5. Coding a Pacemaker placement
    By jdibble in forum Cardiology
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 11:41 AM