Modifier -25, Significant, separately identifiable evaluation and management service by the same physician on the same day of the procedure or other service:
This modifier must be appended with an E/M service. This is the modifier you will need to use with the evaluation and management service done on the same day with other procedure done by the same physician. It has to be above and beyond the usual preoperative and postoperative encounter with the procedure. In fact, by using this modifier, it doesn't have to have a different diagnosis reported. The most important thing is that, the E/M level should meet its key components or if it is selected based on time spent with the patient (counseling and coordination of care). You have to be careful in using this modifier. It must meet medical necessity. As you know, there are procedures that already includes all other coordination of care and management.
Looking at this description of the 25 then I feel it still needs the modifier.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join