You likely need to append a modifier to the E&M service.
Unrelated E/M service during a post-op period â€“ Use with E/M codes only to indicate that the E/M performed during a postoperative period for a reason(s) unrelated to the original procedure. Modifier 24 applies to unrelated E/M services for either a MAJOR or MINOR surgical procedure.- Failure to use modifier when appropriate may result in denial of the E/M service
Separately identifiable service on same day as procedure â€“ Use with E/M codes only to indicate that the patientâ€™s condition required a significant, separately identifiable E/M service above and beyond the other service provided or beyond the usual pre- and postoperative care for the procedure performed- Failure to use modifier when appropriate may result in denial of the E/M service
If you are having problems with denials consider using our services visit our website at www.unitedcoding.com
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join