AAPC - Back to school

Thread: CPC-H Not recognized

Default CPC-H Not recognized

AAPC: Back to School
    I have noticed most of the hospital/facility jobs never say anything about looking for a CPC-H. It always refers back to wanting a CCS or a RHIT. So is it worth getting your CPC-H through the AAPC if no employer will look at that credential? I am confused in general on what to do. I am looking into getting my hospital facility coding cert, but dont want to make the wrong choice on which origanization to go through.

I notice that too so I plan on to join AHIMA organization and continue my other certifications with them. Seems like they are more well recognize.

Charleston, South Carolina

Default Cpc-h

It depends on what the position is for. CPC-H is a hospital outpatient credential, whereas CCS is an inpatient credential. If the facility is looking for inpatient coders, this may be why they are not asking for CPC-H. If the position is for an outpatient coder, you may want to apply and let them know of your experience if relevant.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Here is my new problem, I am debating wither or not to go ahead and get my credentialing to be a hospital coder. Right now I am a CPC working in the physician practices in a hospital. BUT it seems I can't find additional schooling for the hospital coding side. I can't seem to find any classes nearby that are offered for just te hospital side....I have been researching different options and am slowly getting frustrhated. I already went to college for coding and took the basics like anatomy and med term plus I am certified through the AAPC for being a CPC. I dont want to take a whole bunch of classes I dont need.