Well, decortications are performed for empyema but the surgeon's documentation does not make it clear that that is what he did. He didn't describe actually removing a "peel" off of the lung (and, for that matter, how much of the lung - partial vs total). It sounds more like he cleaned out the pleural space.
Based on this documentation, I would bill CPT 32653. You cannot bill separately for the chest tubes (these are placed at the end of all thoracic procedures).
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join