You would only code the laparotomy. Now depending on the amount of time spent on the laparoscopy, and how much of the procedure was done laparoscopically, you could code it with the 53 modifer and lower the amount billed, and code the laparotomy. The documentation MUST support that a significant portion was done laparoscopically. If they go in their with the laparoscope, can't do anything and open her up, just do the laparotomy.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join