Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How do you gain experience if no one will hire you?

Thumbs up Stay Positive
    Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by rtruman1988@yahoo.com View Post
    Sue, you are definitely luckier than me. I have absolutely no experience in billing and coding. I passed my CPC exam in September of 2011 on my first try, but I haven't had any luck finding a job. Every single place I applied for wants someone with two years experience, but you don't necessarily have to be certified. I mean, what sense does that make? I hope I didn't choose the wrong field of study.
    I have just passed my certification exam in June 2011 and I too didn't think it was possible to get a coding job w/no experience. I just got a call today from an interview I had with one of the nations largest insurance companies,(name witheld for obvious reasons). However I went in there and didn't focus on the negative of being a new coder, I turned that into a positive. I know your wondering how you can turn being a new coder into a positive situation. Believe me you can. It worked I got the job and have only been certified 4 months. I want you to try not to fall into the {no experience hype}. I know it's hard not too. I could see if you were a year into gettin your certification but your fresh like me. Keep your head up and fight for it, if you really want it...

Thumbs up Persistance will prevail
    Please don't get discouraged. As previously stated the economy IS having an impact on Healthcare. Most medical facilities have recently seen a drastic increase in Government Funded Healthcare (Medicaid, Medicare, etc) which has a much lower reimbursement rate than the private healthcare sector; while due to the economic crisis many citizens have lost their private healthcare coverage. The result of this is that healthcare providers have had to trim their budgets in order to continue to provide quality care to their patients. I also entered the medical field in 2005 with NO MEDICAL EXPERIENCE. I began my journey as a receptionist even though I was Certified. Once I began, I let my employer SEE my knowledge and expertise in action. I am now coding and billing for 15 providers of 4 different specialties in addition to being the Business Manager in our facility. If you have the opprotunity to volunteer please do so. You will gain hands on knowledge and it will allow you to network with those 'inside' the field. Attend your local chapter meetings for information on opprotunities in the area. Best of luck to you in your journey!
    Wanda D Tollison, CPC
    AAPC - Greenville SC Chapter President Elect

3. Default
    I am almost complete with my Medical Coding Certification Courses at the Baltimore County Community College. I also have a Bachelor's Degree in Health Systems Management (2008) and still no job in the healthcare field. Everyone wants experience. Still working as an Assistant Property Manager (12 yrs.). After reading all these posts, I'm not too sure if I made the right decision myself. I thought that receiving my certification, someone may hire me. But I will keep plugging away with it.

Steffiegreg
    Maryland

Default I couldn't agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by latonna1 View Post
    I have just passed my certification exam in June 2011 and I too didn't think it was possible to get a coding job w/no experience. I just got a call today from an interview I had with one of the nations largest insurance companies,(name witheld for obvious reasons). However I went in there and didn't focus on the negative of being a new coder, I turned that into a positive. I know your wondering how you can turn being a new coder into a positive situation. Believe me you can. It worked I got the job and have only been certified 4 months. I want you to try not to fall into the {no experience hype}. I know it's hard not too. I could see if you were a year into gettin your certification but your fresh like me. Keep your head up and fight for it, if you really want it...
    One thing that a lot of "newbies" are failing to stress in the interview, you do have something great going for you! You haven't had a chance to get into bad habbits or to learn to depend on coding software! I have seen more than one experianced coder not be able to step out of their field, and move on to other opportunities, due to inability to adapt to new things.
    You are a clean slate, with the raw new knowledge of coding. You haven't been ratholed yet, into just one area. For example, when I graduated, I was only able to get an outpatient coding job, even though I highley desired to go into inpatient. Now with several years experiance in out-patient surgery it is highly unlikely that I will be able to move to the inpatient, payor side or ASC side of things. Lucky for me I work in a multi-speciality practice and love it!

Wink Another thing to consider
    Quote Originally Posted by wandatollison View Post
    Please don't get discouraged. As previously stated the economy IS having an impact on Healthcare. Most medical facilities have recently seen a drastic increase in Government Funded Healthcare (Medicaid, Medicare, etc) which has a much lower reimbursement rate than the private healthcare sector; while due to the economic crisis many citizens have lost their private healthcare coverage. The result of this is that healthcare providers have had to trim their budgets in order to continue to provide quality care to their patients. I also entered the medical field in 2005 with NO MEDICAL EXPERIENCE. I began my journey as a receptionist even though I was Certified. Once I began, I let my employer SEE my knowledge and expertise in action. I am now coding and billing for 15 providers of 4 different specialties in addition to being the Business Manager in our facility. If you have the opprotunity to volunteer please do so. You will gain hands on knowledge and it will allow you to network with those 'inside' the field. Attend your local chapter meetings for information on opprotunities in the area. Best of luck to you in your journey!
    Wanda D Tollison, CPC
    AAPC - Greenville SC Chapter President Elect
    Medicare is cutting their reimbursement rates (at the begining of the year) due to current healthcare reform. Which translates to the possibility of downsizing in areas that depend heavily on MCR dollars. (It's been my experiance that some practices make cuts in billing and coding areas, but do so only briefly when they find this was the wrong area to cut). So keep in mind when you have a downslope in the economy it usually comes back up, espicially in healthcare. Try to hang in there it will get better but it's going to take some time.

[quote=nrichard;184170] (It's been my experiance that some practices make cuts in billing and coding areas, but do so only briefly when they find this was the wrong area to cut). /quote]

You're correct. A recent downsizing in our facility affected many departments....but not coding. After experiencing 20+ years in this field, I can verify that the light bulb has finally come on, and administration is recoginzing the value of coders.
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

7. Default Hang in there!
    I am also in the same boat. I graduated with an AS in medical billing and coding and passed the CPC in July 2009. I had to realize that to get experience I had to be willing to start anywhere in the medical field (it's all considered experience). I was blessed to find someone who remembered starting out in the medical field 20 years prior to my interview. She gave me a job (not the one for which I applied) in the billing office, but with the agreement to be cross-trained in every area of the clinic. I worked there for 10 months before my husband was assigned to Fort Polk, LA. It took me a year to find a job there because I still didn't have enough experience to be a coder. I found a job in a Urology clinic as the front desk person. I also was cross-trained in all areas. I worked there 9 months until my husband retired from the Army. I am getting ready to start the job search again in the Asheville, NC area. I am keeping my options open, so I won't get discouraged. Just try to hang in there. Apply for the job no matter how they list the requirements. They might just select you because you stand out on the list as a certified coder. You might be the only one on the list. Good luck!
    Susan C. Hillard, CPC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12