Reader Questions: Avoid Ganglion Code for Bakerâ€™s Cyst (May 2008)
Question: Which CPT code applies to aspiration of a Bakerâ€™s cyst?
Answer: Assuming this was a puncture aspiration, your best bet is 20610 (Arthrocentesis, aspiration and/or injection; major joint or bursa [e.g., shoulder, hip, knee joint, subacromial bursa]).
Watch out: Many coders mistakenly choose 20612 (Aspiration and/or injection of ganglion cyst[s] any location). But a ganglion cyst and Bakerâ€™s cyst are not the same, so this code choice is not accurate. A Bakerâ€™s cyst is a [...]
Hope this helps !
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join