This tends to be payer specific. Some payers want the -50 modifier - billed on one line with quantity 1 but double the fee. Some want it on one line with with quantity 2 and double fee. Some payers want to see it billed on two lines, with the -50 modifier appended to the second line, each coded with 1 unit and individual fee. And some like two lines with -RT and -LT modifiers.
Personally, I like this last option best, as I think it is the most clear. But I'm not the payer.... S I G H
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join