AAPC - Back to school

Thread: End of life

Default End of life

AAPC: Back to School
    A physician saw a patient in the hospital and provided end of life counseling for 2 hours. Would this be an E/M code 99221-99223 or should i use the unlisted code 99429?

Also, for the diagnosis code would i use the diagnosis that the patient had surgery for and is still in the hospital for?

Milwaukee WI

Default Too many questions to fully answer

Your question doesn't give me enough detail to answer you accurately.

Is this the same physician who performed the surgery? If YES, then the visit will be considered global to the surgery.

If NO ... i.e. a different physician of a different specialty / practice ... the code will depend on whether or not a consult was requested, whether or not the patient is covered by Medicare, and whether or not this is the first visit this physician has had with this patient during this hospitalization.

Depending on documentation you MAY be able to ALSO use prolonged service codes.

You will code the diagnosis the physician DOCUMENTED for THIS visit.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Similar Threads

1. New End of Life Consultation
    By pperusse in forum Internal Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 07:07 AM
  2. e/m coding for end of life care
    By misstigris in forum Internal Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM
  3. Decision for end of life/hospice