chronic vrs acute

1. Default chronic vrs acute
    Medical Coding Books
    Does anyone have any documentation on correctly billing subdural hematomas? I know you bill either chronic or acute (432.1 vrs 852.20) but if the subdural is subacute, is it diagnosed as chronic or acute? (subdural was at least a month old)

I would go with acute...I will only code chronic if the doctor says so.

Quote Originally Posted by penguins11 View Post
    Does anyone have any documentation on correctly billing subdural hematomas? I know you bill either chronic or acute (432.1 vrs 852.20) but if the subdural is subacute, is it diagnosed as chronic or acute? (subdural was at least a month old)
    432.1 is nontraumatic, 852.20 is traumatic. I think you should first distinguish the 2 before you use either.

Tonyj is correct this is not a distinction between chronic and acute but rather the cause of the hematoma.
    432.1 - Is a cerbrovascular disease and is non-traumatic - "A hemorrhage below the dura layer of meneges but does not include the brain"
    852.2x is an injury code for a subdural hemorrhage following injury -" The traumatic escape of blood into the subdural space, without mention of an open intracranial wound" The 5th digit of 0 implies there is no statement as to loss of consciousness.
    Do not confuse these with the definition of acute, subacute or chronic.. the important point with these codes is whether there was a traumatic injury or not.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. ACUTE and CHRONIC....HELP!!!!!!!
    By Ladamato13 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 10:03 AM
  2. Acute vs. Chronic when not specified
    By terribrown in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 02:16 PM
  3. Chronic vs. Acute - sustained an injury
    By dcaposella in forum Outpatient Facilities