AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Phi

Default Phi

AAPC: Back to School
    We have our patients fill out a confidential communication form listing persons we are allowed to release PHI to.

Patients never list their primary care doc.............however we ALWAYS send letter to referring doc (usually pcp) stating our visit with patient and findings.

My question is are we allowed to do this? Should we add pcp to our forms?

This is my personal experience/opinion, but I am in no way a HIPPA compliance expert....

I would add PCP to your forms, if nothing else to make sure you are in compliance. However, it is my understanding that if the communication is with another medical provider and is considered a continuation of care, then it is considered compliant.

I hope this helps!!
    Tracey Thompson, CPC, CPPM

yes - I am planning on adding pcp maybe more to the form

I know about the contiuing care.....my problem is when the patient specifically says do not talk to anyone about my healthcare.....and then we send letter anyways to pcp.

obviously we are going to have to address this.

El Paso

You are not required under HIPAA to get written consent from the patient in order to share PHI with the referring physician. It falls under the TPO exception (treatment, payment, operations); in this case, "treatment".
    Susan M. Garrett, CPC, COC
    Past President El Paso Texas Chapter AAPC
    Past Member AAPCCA Board of Directors
    cell 915-204-8333

Tacoma, WA

We have always specifically told patients they don't need to list their primary doc on the form. That form is for others like; spouse, mom, sister, dad, brother, friend, etc. The primary doc and any other medical professional involved in the patient's care is allowed any pertinent information for continuity of care.