A consult is a request from a provider to another provider for advice/opinion on how to manage a problem.
Urgent Care is transfering this patient to the specialist. Urgent Care doesn't want advice on how UC will treat the condition, they want the specialist to take over.
This would be a new (or possibly, existing) patient.
HOWEVER ... if UC asked the Sports Doctor to take a look at patient WHILE the patient was STILL at UC ... then it might be a consult.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join