AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Pulsed Radiofrequency

Default Pulsed Radiofrequency

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a doctor doing a pulsed radiofrequency at T5, T6 DRG (dorsal root ganglion) He wants to bill 64999 times two. It has been our experience so far that most payors will not cover this procedure because it is considered experimental. My problem is, I can't find any direction on whether or not this procedure can be appropriately billed multiple times. I would appreciate any guidance or experienced input anyone has to offer.

Why are you using the unlisted procedure versus 64626 (which includes radiofrequency in the lay description)?

According to the AMA the 646 codes are for destruction of the nerve and since Pulsed radiofrequency does not destroy the nerve 64999 is the recommended code. This is not the typical heat RFA. My question is still whether or not anyone knows if this can be billed on multiple levels. The Pain Management Answer Book doesn't give any direction in that regard.

I cant think of any pain management codes off the top of my head that dont allow us to code "per level"...so my answer is yes..I would code "per level" if the documentation supports it.

Thanks ;-)

Similar Threads

1. Radiofrequency vs. Pulsed Radiofrequency
    By MMOLM4 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 06:42 PM
  2. Radiofrequency pulsed lesioning
    By dyoungberg in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 08:15 PM
  3. Pulsed Radiofrequency
    By kbriscoe in forum Medical Coding General Discussion