Bath salt abuse/dependence

1. Default Bath salt abuse/dependence
    Medical Coding Books
    What type of drug would you specify bath salts as being when coding Bath salt abuse or dependence? I'm torn between hallucinogens, amphetamines or other/unspecified.

Default I haven't had much luck finding something concrete on this.
    Due to the fact possesion of bath salts is illegal in my area, I called the local police department to find out if the person is charged w/ amphetimine possesion or hallicinaginic (sp? sorry) possesion. In my area the person is charged w/ possesion of a controlled substance, so no luck there . After looking online it seems there is not enough known about the chemical to classify this drug, but some inteties are labling it as an amphetimine, others as a hallicinagin. What I would do query the physician on each of these cases. I know it sounds like a lot, but I'm not sure your going to be able to get a straight dx from the notes, unless you "diagnosis" the symptoms, and we all know that's a no-no.

I would lean toward unspecified/other.

We had an audit on this and per the auditor she stated to use 969.72 it is a (stimulant) acts like cocaine

In terms of drugs "acting" like other drug classes, we see that in numerous items. For instance, Neurontin (though an anti-epileptic), acts as a mood stabilizer, is used for chronic pain treatment among other things. Because something "acts" like some other class of drugs does not mean that drug belongs in a different class.

Perhaps there is a Coding Clinic on this topic. If not, (and I'm not aware of one), then the question should be sent to Coding Clinic for an official recommendation.