Removing Staples Past 10 Day Global Period

Exclamation Removing Staples Past 10 Day Global Period
    Exam Training Packages
    I have a question. Let's say a patient has a cyst removed and sutures are put in. For some unknown reason, the appointment for the removal of these sutures occurs outside the 10 day global period. For the documentation, my physician does do an exam on this patient and his nurse removes the sutures. Would this visit be considered to be a "post op/no charge visit", or would it be considered a billable service 99212ish? I have heard it both ways, and I would really appreciate any documentation that anyone may have. Thank you

2. Default
    If you were the ones who placed the sutures or staples even if outside the global period you are not allowed to charge. If the pt came in and had a visit and there were other things discused and dxed you may bill for this but if only the sutures were removed no you would not bill.

If the global period has expired, then any postoperative care provided to the patient is separately reportable. So, provided the global period has expired, you can charge to take the sutures out. Suture removal is included in the E/M.
    Last edited by dballard2004; 10-24-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P, CRHC, AAPC Fellow
    Coder

Remember, as of 1-1-11, CPT's 12001-12018 have 0 global days. This means that all simple repairs will most likely include an additional E/M service for suture removal/follow up. (Both intermediate and complex repairs still have the ten day global period) My understanding is that the fee schedule has been adjusted to take this into account.

Whitney CPC

Quote Originally Posted by hortonwl View Post
    Remember, as of 1-1-11, CPT's 12001-12018 have 0 global days. This means that all simple repairs will most likely include an additional E/M service for suture removal/follow up. (Both intermediate and complex repairs still have the ten day global period) My understanding is that the fee schedule has been adjusted to take this into account.

Whitney CPC
    True, but in this case we need to know the code used for the cyst removal and look at the global days for that procedure. If the suture removal was a day or so late I would probably just consider it global since they have to get the sutures or staples removed. Just because we can bill doesn't mean we have to...
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC