Modifier 57 can only be used by the general surgeon "IF" & "ONLY IF" the surgeon performed a consult (met the requirements of a consult and then made the decision to perform the surgery. A coder must be careful using modifier 57. All of the requirements of a consult must be met and the actual decision of performing a surgical procedure must be decided after preforming the exam and reviewing diagnostic tests.
I hope this helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join