Pediatric in-patient professional fee coding

1. Default Pediatric in-patient professional fee coding
    Medical Coding Books
    I would like to network with other pediatric coders that provides coding for the professional services for in-patients. I have recntly obtained a position coding these services and I have questions for example: If it is possible to bill immunizations and/or the administration codes when the patients are in NICU and reach 2 months or greater of age? I don't feel that the vaccines are billable as I would think they are provided by the in-patient pharmacy and would be billed from their area however I can't find information regarding billing of the administration codes. if you ahve information or can provide me with your resource I would appreciate the assistance.

Thanks.

brenda lorke, cpc

Quote Originally Posted by bnl View Post
    I would like to network with other pediatric coders that provides coding for the professional services for in-patients. I have recntly obtained a position coding these services and I have questions for example: If it is possible to bill immunizations and/or the administration codes when the patients are in NICU and reach 2 months or greater of age? I don't feel that the vaccines are billable as I would think they are provided by the in-patient pharmacy and would be billed from their area however I can't find information regarding billing of the administration codes. if you ahve information or can provide me with your resource I would appreciate the assistance.

Thanks.

brenda lorke, cpc
    Very good questions, Brenda. I believe that the vaccine admin codes when the patient is an inpatient are covered under nursing services as part of the facility room and board charges, and should not be reported separately on a UB. However, I also believe that the vaccine product itself can be reported as a pharmacy charge on the UB if the facility buys it first and it's kept in pharmacy stock (that is, not supplied by VFC or other agencies).

I would suggest checking with your Medicare Part A FI for direction.

Regards,
    Jettman