Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Failed on CPC exam

1. Default
    Exam Training Packages
    Hi. Sorry to hear that. I took the exam last week and I was sad to find out that I didn't pass - in all sections. I'm going to wait 'til Jan before I take it again. It is very expensive but I hope you'll get to try again. I was in an interview the other day and the interviewer said that she knew of someone who passed it on the sixth try. I wished that I passed but it's time to move on and I'll do better next time. Good luck to you.

Smile Please take it again
    Quote Originally Posted by SFRISINA View Post
    I took it me 4 times and I still didn't pass it. Of course you get two shots every time you pay for the test, and I'm not going to pay for it again. I really felt confident that I passed it the last time I took it...and I didn't. I purchased the on-line test from AAPC, did the boot camp at the National Coding Conference thru NAMAS (it's a waste of time and money - I don't recommend it). As an adult, it's embarrassing to fail any test once....let alone 4 times. I would love to take it again, but I'm not going to fork out any more money.

I wish you the very best of luck!

Stacy
    Stacy, your story sounds a bit like mine a couple of months ago, I had taken the test 3 times and it was mentally exhausting, I was disappointed in myself because I wanted to pass the test so bad. The 3rd time that I took the test I just knew that I passed. I was devastated when I checked on line and found out that I failed, you would have thought that I lost a close relative. I really wanted to start a career as a coder and I knew that getting certified was the only way to do this. I finally took the test again in October and passed. My suggestion would be to purchase the practice exams through AAPC, they are very helpful. When you fail you have the option of purchasing the areas of weakness practice exam. When ever your finances permit, take the test again, its definantly worth it.

3. Default
    I tabbed my book every 20 pages or so marked with the cpt codes that were included in that 20 pages. It made it a lot easier to go straight to that section. I also tabbed the anatomy sections, modifiers, and the appendix L for the vascular orders.

I only tabbed the modifiers on my hcpcs and only tabbed the volumn 1 on the ICD-9.

Luckily I passed the first time.

I would absolutely try it again. Good Luck!

Robin King CPC-A

4. Default Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by lfisher78 View Post
    Stacy, your story sounds a bit like mine a couple of months ago, I had taken the test 3 times and it was mentally exhausting, I was disappointed in myself because I wanted to pass the test so bad. The 3rd time that I took the test I just knew that I passed. I was devastated when I checked on line and found out that I failed, you would have thought that I lost a close relative. I really wanted to start a career as a coder and I knew that getting certified was the only way to do this. I finally took the test again in October and passed. My suggestion would be to purchase the practice exams through AAPC, they are very helpful. When you fail you have the option of purchasing the areas of weakness practice exam. When ever your finances permit, take the test again, its definantly worth it.
    Did you find a job as a coder once you passed the exam?

5. Default
    I understand how you feel...

As an experienced teacher who specializes in preparing students for college exams, now making a career change to coding, I have a few tips for passing the CPC exam. I passed the exam on the first try with an 84% and no coding experience.

I agree with previous contributors who suggested tabbing the books and watching the Coding Blitz videos. In fact, when I was preparing for the exam, I watched a whole set of free Coding Blitz videos on You Tube. The seminar was (I believe) recorded in 2003, but it still helped tremendously. In this series, you learn about bubbling and highlighting the CPT manual. Also, the presenter discusses great time-saving strategies. One is comparing the codes. Instead of searching the index, go straight to the codes. Look up repeated codes first. What I mean by that is, let's say, choices A and B contain one of the same codes. That code may be favored, so check it out first. Also, make sure to underline and circle key words in your test manual. What you are doing is matching up key words from the reports to key words in the code descriptions. That helped me a lot.

Finally, as others around the forum have mentioned, read and make notes on your guidelines and use the current AAPC study guide and practice exams. I also brushed up on anatomy and medical terminology. Studying prefixes, roots, and suffixes will help you understand procedures much better. In sum, I think you need a strong foundation in coding but also test taking strategies to pass this exam.

Best of luck to all studying for the CPC!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12