The definition in Coder's Desk Reference to CPT code 43848 reads "the physician uses an open technique to revise a failed gastric restrictive procedure for morbid obesity. Indications for revision include stomal stenosis, stomal dilatation, non-emptying gastric pouch, GERD, staple dehiscence, intragastric foreign body, gastric fistula, failure to maintain weight loss, breakdown of staple continuity and restrored gastric continuity. This code is not used to report revision of an adjustable gastric device."
I agree that you would use 43644 for a Roux-en-Y and if the band is removed at the same time as the Roux-en-Y you cannot bill for the removal of the band plus the Roux.
Hope that helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join