dx code for evaluation of a silicone implant

Question dx code for evaluation of a silicone implant
    Medical Coding Books
    Does anyone know what would be used as a diagnosis code for a patient that has a MRI of the breast to evaluate a rupture of the silicone implant? Is there a routine screening code for evaluation of an implant rupture at all? As far as I know, I can't find one. Please help me.

thanks!

-Dena

Quote Originally Posted by denamfailla View Post
    Does anyone know what would be used as a diagnosis code for a patient that has a MRI of the breast to evaluate a rupture of the silicone implant? Is there a routine screening code for evaluation of an implant rupture at all? As far as I know, I can't find one. Please help me.

thanks!

-Dena
    If it is truly a screening you can use V76.19 Other screening breast examination. Are there symptoms that lead you to believe there may have been a rupture? I would code symptoms first and the V76.19 second.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

This is a tough one. I would use code 61189 disorder of breast and V82.89 special screening for other conditions.

It is not a screening at all if there has in fact been a rupture or symptoms that lead to think there is a rupture. I would look carefully at the complication codes. It is not a disorder of the breast because the implant is inorganic and not part of the breast tissue. It is however a complication of an implant and there are codes for this.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H