Results 1 to 8 of 8

Performing an audit on 3 provider practice

  1. #1
    Default Performing an audit on 3 provider practice
    Exam Training Packages
    I'm planning on doing an audit for a OBGYN office with three providers, and I was wondering what percentage of my provider charts should I review, to get the most accurate data? I thought it was 5%, but I'm not sure.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Location
    Spring Hill
    Posts
    65
    Default audit
    it usually depends on the size of the practice

  3. #3
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,087
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by nrichard View Post
    I'm planning on doing an audit for a OBGYN office with three providers, and I was wondering what percentage of my provider charts should I review, to get the most accurate data? I thought it was 5%, but I'm not sure.
    Thanks in advance.
    We generally based it on a number of charts per provider per specified time period, not so much a percentage. Depending on how much time the audit is meant to cover it could be anywhere from 10 to 30+ charts per provider.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

  4. #4
    Location
    Concord, NC or Rochester, NY
    Posts
    154
    Default
    If this is a baseline audit - i recommend a minimum of 20. You may also want to look at the coding profile and use that information for determining the size and the codes to be audited.

  5. #5
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    We generally based it on a number of charts per provider per specified time period, not so much a percentage. Depending on how much time the audit is meant to cover it could be anywhere from 10 to 30+ charts per provider.
    How long of a time period would be a good determination? Maybe 6 monts? One year?
    These are strictly E&M documentation audits, for three providers.

  6. #6
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,087
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by nrichard View Post
    How long of a time period would be a good determination? Maybe 6 monts? One year?
    These are strictly E&M documentation audits, for three providers.
    Baseline 6 months is probably good.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

  7. #7
    Location
    Concord, NC or Rochester, NY
    Posts
    154
    Default
    I would not go back beyond 6 months as you want the current pattern the providers are in.

    Michael Doyle, CPA, CPC-I
    Badin Consulting LLC
    142 Cable Neck Cove
    New London, NC 28127
    704-762-1250

    12 Claret Drive
    Fairport, NY 14450
    585-261-9067

  8. #8
    Talking Thanks for the info everyone.
    ....

Similar Threads

  1. ER/Family Practice Provider
    By JCampbell in forum Emergency Department
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM
  2. On call provider--not same practice
    By missy874 in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 07:31 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 06:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.