different clinics

1. Default different clinics
    Medical Coding Books
    I hope somebody out there can help and I could really use answer ASAP

We lost our Orthopedic doc and a new one was hired, however this new doc comes over from a different clinic from another state twice a week. If one of our patients went to his clinic in the docs. state and since the new doc comes here so that same patient can see him at our clinic, would that patient be considered a new patient or est. It is within the 3 yr time frame.
    I know this sounds confusing, if there is any questions please ask.

Thanks so much

samy
    Last edited by samyjm13; 10-28-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by samyjw View Post

We lost our Orthopedic doc and a new one was hired, however this new doc comes over from a different clinic from another state twice a week. If one of our patients went to his clinic in the docs. state and since the new doc comes here so that same patient can see him at our clinic, would that patient be considered a new patient or est. It is within the 3 yr time frame.

Thanks so much

samy
    Has the patient seen the new doc at your clinic yet? If the patient has not yet seen the new doc in your clinic, and has never been seen in the other clinic, then they are a new patient at that clinic.

If the new doc has seen your patient at your clinic, and then the patient goes to the other clinic for a follow up, they are established with that doc, even though they have not been seen at that clinic.

Mostly follows where the patient encounters your new doc for the first time, at your clinic or at his other clinic. There is a decision tree on page 5 in the CPT book that can help.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by samyjw View Post

Thanks so much

samy
    Patients sees the new doc at your clinic thus est patient, even if he goes to his clinic in his state after first seeing him at your clinic

4. Default
    thanks,