Blepharoplasty with modifier?

Cool Blepharoplasty with modifier?
    Medical Coding Books
    I recently started working for a plastic surgeon and today was billing out a procedure where both eyes had a Blepharoplasty done. The suergon wants to bill 2 CPT codes but I think we should use one code with a modifier -50. I was told that the surgeon uses 2 codes because he has a higher reimbursement. The CPT book indicates to use the modifier - 50. Can someone help me and give me some talking points. thanks!!
    Last edited by ridenut; 11-01-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ridenut View Post
    I recently started working for a plastic surgeon and today was billing out a procedure where both eyes had a Blepharoplasty done. The suergon wants to bill 2 CPT codes but I think we should use one code with a modifier -50. I was told that the surgeon uses 2 codes because he has a higher reimbursement but my reaction was that he might be getting a higher paycheck but also commiting fraud. The CPT book indicates to use the modifier - 50. Can someone help me and give me some talking points. thanks!!
    You can do either one. You can bill two lines using mod. -LT & -RT or one code using mod. -50. Check the insurance billing guidelines to see how they prefer it to be billed.
    Jennifer DeWitte, CPC, CPC-P, CPB, AAPC Fellow
    Newport Center Surgical
    Coding & Billing Department
    Vice President
    AAPC Fullerton, CA Chapter

Thanks!!

Similar Threads

1. Blepharoplasty Question
    By tmr1965 in forum Ophthalmology/Optometry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 02:09 PM
  2. Blepharoplasty