AAPC - Back to school

Thread: nephrology

Default nephrology

AAPC: Back to School
    looking for good nephrology book

E&M rules
    MP rules

Medicare Primary

I have worked in Nephrology for 6 years and haven't found any good books. All of the information I get is from our local Medicare carrier and the Renal Physicians Association. Is there anything specific you are looking for? I might be able to help?

Jennifer Sprague

Default nephrology

Need to know

5 doctors each on goes to Dialysis unit and sees our pts
    1 doc is assign to do MP

If he or another doctors see the patient in the office can we bill for E/M

My understading is if it is not ESRD related we can bill for 99214, but if it is we can not( Medicare rules) but we can bill as a mp visit

I'm not sure what MP stands for?? In our office, if a dialysis patient is seen in the office, we can not bill for an office visit unless they are being seen for something else besides their ESRD. Once our patients start dialysis, the physician sees them at the dialysis clinic only. We have a few exceptions, where the patient would rather come to the office to see the doctor, then we would charge $0 for that visit. The reasons for this is the reimbursement is greater for the dialysis billing and Medicare would deny the visit.

Default nephrology

the doctor or MCP that does the comperhensive visit on the dialysis pt is the doctor you bill under for the month. this must be a face to face visit at the center based on medicare guidelines. you can see the dialysis pt in the office or obsveration unit at hospital and count toward the monthly visits if dialysis related but the comperhensive visit must be done at center. you can also see dialysis pt in hospital, er, office and bill for e&m but it must not be any thing associated with pt's dialysis course. pam