Catheterizaiotn of Spinal Arteries

1. Red face Catheterizaiotn of Spinal Arteries
    Medical Coding Books
    Good Afternoon,
    I'm tyring to understand appropriate coding of catheterization and use of 36215, 36217,36245 and 36246. If a spinal artery was viewed is the corresponding intercotal artery is in fact coded what is being coded for? The intercostals are part of the Vascular Family order as per Appendix in the CPT, however, the spinal arteries are not there. Dr. Z's reference states that the code should correspond with where the catheter tip ends up. If that happens to be a spinal artery and they are not classified on the Vascular Family chart then the next closest vnatage point is the intercostals.
    Very interesting but very confusing also.
    any thoughts?
    Thank you,
    Lora B.

Quote Originally Posted by lorabelk View Post
    Good Afternoon,
    I'm tyring to understand appropriate coding of catheterization and use of 36215, 36217,36245 and 36246. If a spinal artery was viewed is the corresponding intercotal artery is in fact coded what is being coded for? The intercostals are part of the Vascular Family order as per Appendix in the CPT, however, the spinal arteries are not there. Dr. Z's reference states that the code should correspond with where the catheter tip ends up. If that happens to be a spinal artery and they are not classified on the Vascular Family chart then the next closest vnatage point is the intercostals.
    Very interesting but very confusing also.
    any thoughts?
    Thank you,
    Lora B.
    The intercostal arteries are the spinal arteries. Use 36215 above the diaphram (c/t spine) and 36245 below (L spine).

HTH
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

3. Red face Great news
    Thank you Danny!
    Those are the codes that were used so we are good. An outside auditor was contesting them so I'm sending that auditor a bit of vascular anatomy (I'm a hospital auditor) to prove your point. You're a brave soul to have a CIRCC. I'm not that brave just yet!
    Lora B.

I'm curious, what did the internal auditor think should be coded?