AAPC - Back to school

Thread: location

Question location

AAPC: Back to School
    Just wondering how everyone else counts elements of HPI as i have conflicting information. How many elements does everyone else get out of this note below and do you count arms, legs, back and stomach as 1 or 4 for location. Is this really 6 elements or 3 being location 1 counting all areas as 1, duration 1 and modifying factor 1?

If a note says patient has a rash on arms, legs, back and stomach for 5 days using hydrocortisone without improvement.

Thanking you in advance.

Milwaukee WI

Default Location counted once

I tend to count each element only once, however I have heard that certain payers will recognize each location as a separate element of HPI.

I'd be inclined to do this if there were SEPARATE problems. For example a rash on the arm, and a sprained ankle (then I could be persuaded to count TWO bullets for location).

I would count the example you give as 3 HPI elements: Location, duration, modifying factors

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
    Last edited by FTessaBartels; 11-09-2011 at 12:52 PM.

yes it helps alot - that is how i tend to want to do it as well but i listened to a web conference of Inga Ellzey's and it shows that each are counted as a separate elements. Please if anyone else has any imput please let us know what your interpretation is on this.

Thank you,

I usually agree with Inga Elzey but not on this...to me it is one rash. If there was a raised rash on the torso and a weepy rash on the arms then I might consider these as seperate elements.