According to CPT, code 29877 (Arthroscopy, knee, surgical; debridement/shaving of articular cartilage [chondroplasty]) should be reported to indicate the performance of an arthroscopic chondroplasty in the medial, lateral, and/or patellofemoral compartment(s). This code may only be reported one time per surgical session and may only be reported if the chondroplasty is performed in a separate compartment from the primary surgical procedure.
Modifier 59, the distinct procedural service modifier, should be appended to indicate to the payor that the chondroplasty was performed in a separate compartment. CPT code 29877 should be used with all private payors, unless the payor has issued written instructions related to the reporting of this code.
Code 29874 (Arthroscopy, knee, surgical; for removal of loose body or foreign body [eg, osteochondritis dissecans fragmentation, chondral fragmentation]) may be reported in addition to other arthroscopic knee procedures, including arthroscopic chondroplasty and arthroscopic microfracture, if either of the following requirements are met:
* The arthroscopic loose/foreign body was greater than 5 mm or
* The loose/foreign body was removed through a separate incision or portal (not through the inflow or outflow portal)
If arthroscopic removal of loose/foreign bodies was the only procedure performed, the size or separate incision guidelines do not apply.
29877 Knee debridgement (Medial Compartment)
29874 Removal of loose body (lateral compartment)
27345 Excision of Baker's Cyst
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join