I am currently in the process of starting up my own medical billing company. I have also ran into the problem of not getting any tips or suggestions in getting started. I'll share what I have so far.
I started by filing for my dba - which in Texas is easy.
HIPAA - I found a sample Business Associate Contract on the Health and Human Services website (www.hhs.gov). There is also information regarding HIPAA Compliance and I'm still working on developing a HIPAA Compliance Program by piecing together information found on the website and doing some other googles about it. It is not necessary to pay for monthly shredding. I found on the HIPAA outline that if it shreds to a certain size then it can be discarded with the regular trash. It's less expensive to buy a large scale shredder (found some at Office Depot around $250) then a monthly fee of $40.
Pricing - I'm charging a perentage of collected revenue. The rate will depend on the volume of the facility.
Contract - I think I'm going to spend the money and meet with a lawyer to make sure I have everything covered but there are some samples out there.
IT - I am using the IT company my current employer uses to make sure my system is completly secure. It's expensive but necessary. Check out some local area companies if you don't have anyone you already know.
That's where I am currently and now trying to get a client signed.
Good Luck and wish you the best!!
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join