If you're coding professional fees, you would use the -53. The facility fee coder would use a -74 modifier. The -74 means the procedure was discontinued after the administration of anesthesia.....the incision doesn't have to be there yet nor does a scope have to be inserted, etc. ...the anesthesia has to have been started, that's it. Most of the commercial payers I deal with want the claim dropped to paper and a copy of the op note faxed to them when I use the -74.
Hope this helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join